Sunday 20 March 2016

5 Months of Silence


During my blogging break I should probably share with you guys what I actually got up to living on a ship. I say I was working...*cough* the majority of time was spent donning my explorer cap, wanderlusting across luscious islands, mingling with monkeys, scoffing my face with oodles of Asian noodles, spending my birthday brunch in the Bay of Islands, swimming with sharks in open water or lying flat on a white sandy beach, piƱa colada in one hand, nachos and Mexican guacamole in t'other. And, (please don't hate me anymore), I was lucky enough to be getting paid to do it. 

Of course I don't mention the sleepless nights and tears during rehearsals trying to learn 10 shows in 10 days, nor the time we couldn't step foot onto dry land for 31 days because of immigration regulations or being away from family & friends. Because that would be moaning and I could never moan about the journey I just embarked on. Of course there were downs to go with the ups, but the ups definitely made up for the downs. So I will only share the ups! 








I know it's immature but I just found this hilarious, he was just sat there holding his willy as if to say 'It's mine, don't even look at it.'

The biggest 'up' of all was BALI! Never have I seen a country so colourful in all my short little life. We had a grand total of 8 hours to bumble around Bali and boy did we make the most of it. From the monkey forest in Ubud, to a coffee plantation tasting the infamous, most expensive coffee in the world - Kopi Luwak ... or as I like to call it 'poop coffee.' An animal actually eats the beans, poops, then you drink it (after a few more processes)…it was actually quite delicious. Although I have to admit, I didn't have a clue what the lady was saying so I drank it without realising what it was(!) Exploring silver smiths, wood carvers, watching how they make the traditional Batik prints, enjoying a Balinese massage and feasting on Indonesian cuisine over looking a rice field. Safe to to say, it was one of the most stunning places we docked at and some of the kindest people we met. In close second was everywhere in New Zealand - Bay of Islands, Auckland, Picton and in Oz snorkelling in the Great Barrier Reef - finding two sea turtles to follow!









These Gods apparently are the ones that judge you after you die…so we were being extra nice to them.

When I wasn't exploring the incredible sights I was living on the beautiful MS Amsterdam, singing my heart out and sharing the stage with an insane cast of 10 wonderful friends, from Ukranians to Las Vegas-ians(!) Performing opera, jazz, pop and musical theatre, making amazing memories. And of course, my boy flew half way across the world to come onboard and visit me at Christmas which made the time apart more bearable :)

It was the journey of a lifetime and I'm so happy to have spent that time with such special people. Ps, I got this dress from the French Connection sale and had so many compliments, it's my new favourite dress.






Apologies for abandoning The Betty Stamp for so long but I can't tell you how happy I am to be back in the kitchen whipping up some tasty treats to share with you my friends ! There's really no place like home.

Betty x 

For more Betty Stamp antics don't forget to follow me on Twitter and Instagram
Did you see my Cheesecake Stuffed Strawberries post..? Mmm nom nom nom.





Share:

5 comments

  1. Looks like you had an incredible time lovely!! You photos are gorgeous and I'm thrilled you were well looked after while singing your heart out!

    Delighted to have you back though :-)

    Rxx

    www.peppermintdolly.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks poppet :) and hopefully I'll see you very soon for a blog date xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Betty, you certainly sound to have had a fantastic time. Our dear friend and neighbour, an elderly chap, used to sail the high seas as a merchant seaman and then on the ocean liners as a chef visited all manner of places. He tells so many stories about his time away even after so many years of living on teraferma. Just imagine in years to come when you're a grey old lady telling your grandchildren of your adventure and showing them all of those fab pics.
    Angela x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thank you so much Angela this made me smile :) that's what I think all the time and is one of the reasons I did it, so I can look back when I'm old and wrinkly and talk of all the amazing people I've met and places I can tell them about :) x

      Delete

© The Betty Stamp | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig